Attn: All K-12 Administrators and Student Services
Are you familiar with the details of why each of these K-12 incidents and tragedies were not prevented?
- Seth Walsh Suicide Tehachapi Unified School District Federal Investigation and Settlement
- Phoebe Prince Suicide South Hadley School District - $225,000 Settlement
- Emerson Board of Education Bullying Improperly Handled - $130,000 Settlement
- High Point Regional High School Harassment Improperly Handled - $2M Lawsuit Filed
- Anoka-Hennepin School District Did Not Adequately Respond to Harassment - $270,000 Settlement
- And TOO MANY OTHERS…
Research reveals these K-12 schools, like many other schools, had a lot in common:
- The schools had student handbooks, employee handbooks, general training and assemblies.
- The schools had incident reporting options, crisis management/emergency plans and mass notification solutions.
- People in the schools Students, Teachers, Counselors, Bus Drivers, Staff, Principals, Parents knew problems existed,
- The schools were not equipped and failed to connect the dots and follow up on what their people knew.
- The schools were not equipped and failed to intervene, failed to prevent and failed to document their actions.
- The schools were not equipped and failed to involve appropriate resources Legal, Law Enforcement, Mental Health
FACT: In October 2010, the OCR and DOE published a “Dear Colleague” letter addressing bullying and harassment.
All schools who know or reasonably should know about student harassment must: 1) Investigate the incident; 2) Take immediate action to stop the harassment; 3) Take action to prevent the recurrence of harassment; 4) Eliminate the hostile environment; 5) Address its effects; and 6) Take appropriate actions to review policies and re-train students, faculty, staff and parents.
FACT: 49 states have passed anti-bullying legislation.
School leaders cannot fall victim to “knee jerk reactions” and purchase an online Incident Reporting solution and think they are prepared to meet their obligations to meet regulatory mandates and ensure Student Safety. Results clearly reveal that Student Safety and creating and maintaining a Safe and Secure Learning Environment depends on EQUIPPING EVERY INDIVIDUAL with the RIGHT TOOLS to investigate, intervene, follow up, follow through, prevent incidents, eliminate hostile environments and take appropriate actions AS SOON AS others become aware of incidents and suspicious activities.
Traditional incident reporting solutions have existed for years, but preventable incidents are still not being prevented. Awareity’s TIPS platform equips your school with the tools for incident reporting, investigations, intervention, prevention, follow ups, automated reminders and documentation of all actions taken. TIPS will also ensure ongoing situational awareness and accountability for students, teachers, staff, administration, parents and other resources throughout the community. TIPS is the only suite of tools to be recognized with FOUR different innovation awards by risk management and insurance experts from around the world.